|Line||Opening date||number of platforms|
|Yellow||24th March 1984||1|
South Shields station is a single platform terminus, on a bridge carrying th line over King Street in the town centre, and is a little to the south of the mainline railway station it replaced.
South Shields' first station was opened by the Brandling Junction Railway on 19th June 1839. This was replaced by a North Eastern Railway (NER) station which opened on 17th December 1842. This in turn was replaced by another NER station which opened on 2nd June 1879. This station closed on 1st June 1981 in readiness for Metro services, and the station building was used as an entrance to the new Metro station until demolition in the 1990s.
[no pictures found]
Search for more pictures taken at South Shields
Services from this stop:
Back to top
Page generated in ≈ 0.0190 seconds